Penrhyn boost their survival hopes

By Adam Hughes in Football

PENRHYNCOCH revived their chances of Huws Gray Cymru Alliance survival after pulling off a timely 3-0 victory away to Caersws on Tuesday night.

Elwyn Edwards marked a midweek appearance by opening the scoring with a header, before Daf Carruthers added a second goal after the break, and Jonathan Evans the selaed the win.

It was a night to forget for the Bluebirds, who had both Will Thomas and Paul Grant sent off in the second half.

Penrhyn boss Gari Lewis was delighted with the win, which will put his side in good heart for Saturday’s trip to Flint Town United.

Owain James will be back from his ban, while Josh Shaw is fit again following his ankle injury, after a successful appearance as substitute in midweek.

"It was a huge win, but the table’s still incredibly tight and I still think the relegation fight will go to the last weekend," said Lewis.

"We can now go to Flint knowing that anything we get will be a bonus. We will give it our best shot, we’ll have a plan, like we did at Caersws. We changed to a flat back five, no wing backs, three in the centre of midfield and two up front, and it worked well.

"The first 20 or so minutes we were a bit off it, but after that we really grew into the game, and to come away with the three points was just what we needed."

New signing Edwards gave the Roosters an interval lead when nipping in to head past keeper Luke Evans, after Mark Gornall had whipped a cross into the box.

Carruthers, back to his best form, then doubled the advantage after the break when chesting the ball down before swivelling to volley into the net.

The hard-working Jonathan Evans cut in from the left to fire a third goal, while Caersws’ disappointing night saw Thomas dismissed for use of an elbow before Grant picked up a second caution late on to finish with nine men.

Last weekend, Penrhyncoch had failed to halt champions-elect Prestatyn Town to remain deep in basement danger in the Huws Gray Cymru Alliance.

Without Jon Foligno and Owain James, and also missing the injured Josh Shaw and Sion Meredith, Penrhyn were up against it even before the first whistle against a Prestatyn side who now need just one point to seal the league title.

Stung by a first league defeat of the season in midweek, the Seasiders started on the front foot with Noah Edwards hitting the woodwork from the edge of the box.

They missed a golden chance to take the lead on 13 minutes when Jack Lewis was pushed in the box, but keeper Lee Jenkins made a fine save to deny the resulting spot kick from top scorer Jordan Davies.

The runaway leaders continued to push, but were met by a steely rearguard from the home side who fought hard throughout, and put the visiting defence under pressure on a number of occasions as well.

However, Prestatyn made the breakthrough eight minutes after the break when Kenny linked with Edwards before slotting home from a tight angle.

Daf Carruthers went close to levelling when denied on the line, and there was no way back once the visitors added a second goal on 73 minutes through Maher.

Related Articles

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C